12.31.2008

100 Book Challenge... Check

I posted in June about the goal I set to read 100 books in 2008.  I did it!  I actually finished back in November, and I'm very proud of myself for finishing.  I don't know if I should be, since I probably spent a lot of hours reading that should been directed toward more practical pursuits.  Regardless, I did it and I'm glad I did.  There's something delicious about devouring a book and jumping right into the next one-- and even when I didn't have the time to read a book in one sitting, it was good to have an excuse to read a few chapters before bed.  It was a good way to keep up the momentum.

I won't be reading quite so many in 2009, but I'm still going to try not to let that part of my life slip away into the busyness.  One of the best things about my new school is that they have made a priority of teaching children to enjoy reading.  Outside every classroom is a sign that says 'This week my teacher read ____ minutes.'  What a great way to lead by example!  It will be great motivation to keep up personal reading.

Without further ado, the first 100 books I read in 2008:

1. Sovereign Ladies, by Maureen Waller

2. Under the Tuscan Sun, by Frances Mayes

3. The Queen of Attolia, by Megan Whalen Turner

4. The King of Attolia, by Megan Whalen Turner

5. Having a Baby Naturally, by Mothering Magazine

6. Chronoliths

7. March, by Geraldine Brooks

8. The Watsons Go to Birmingham

9. Linda Brown, You Are Not Alone

10. The Fellowship of the Ring, by JRR Tolkien

    11. Year of Wonders, Geraldine Brooks (love this author)

    12. Calculating God, Robert Sawyer

    13. Family Tree, Barbara Delinsky

    14. Starplex, Robert Sawyer

    15. The Rumpelstiltskin Problem

    16. Into the Wild

    17. The Tightwad Gazette I

    18. The Tightwad Gazette II

    19. The Tightwad Gazette III

    20. Poison Study, Maria K. Snyder

    21. Magic Study, Maria K. Snyder

    22. Ysabel

  • 23. The Sweet Far Thing, Libba Bray

    24. Myst: Book of Atrus

  • 25. State of Fear, by Michael Crichton

    26. London, by Edward Rutherfurd

    27. Ender's Shadow, Orson Scott Card

  • 28. Bound On Earth

    29. One Perfect Day: the Selling of the American Wedding

    30. Rainbow's End

  • 31. Frindle

    32. Unveiled

    33. Shattered Dreams: My Life as a Polygamist's Wife

    34. A Poisoned Season

  • 35. Fire Study, Maria K Snyder

    36. Wicked Lovely

    37. Julie & Julia, Julie Powell

    38. Escape, Carolyn Jessop

    39. Penderwicks on Gardam Street

    40. Suite Scarlett, Maureen Johnson

  • 41. Pushed

    42. The Invention of Hugo Cabret

    43. Farthing

    45. Bewitching Season

  • 46. Bella at Midnight

    47. His Favorite Wife: Trapped in Polygamy

    48. The Luxe

    49. Blue Bloods

  • 50. America' Hidden History

  • 51. The Princess and the Hound

    52. Well Behaved Women Seldom Make History

    53. Masquerade

    54. Gorgeously Green

    55. Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day

    56. The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks

    57. I, Coriander

    58. All the Lovely Bad Ones

    59. The Eyre Affair

    60. Animal, Vegetable, Mineral

  • 61. The Red Necklace, Sally Gardner

    62. Things I learned about my dad in therapy, Heather Armstrong

    63. Keeper of Dreams, Orson Scott Card

    64. Empire, Orson Scott Card

    65. The Moneypenny Diaries, Kate Westbrook

    66. Lost in a Good Book, Jasper Fforde

    67. The Well of Lost Plots, Jasper Fforde

    68. House of the Scorpion

    69. A Curse Dark As Gold

    70. Something Rotten, Jasper Fforde

    71. Thursday Next: First Among Sequels

  • 72. Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict, Laurie Viera Rigler

    73. The Explosionist, Jenny Davidson

    74. The Green Glass Sea, Ellen Klages

    75. Bonk, Mary Roach

    76. Breaking Dawn, Stephenie Meyer

  • 77. Out of the Wild, Sarah Beth Durst

    78. Rumors, Anna Godberson

    79. Dragon Flight, Jessica Day George

    80. The Jane Austen Handbook, Margaret Sullivan

    81. Beauty Sleep, Cameron Dokey

    82. His Majesty's Dragon, Naomi Novik

    83. Throne of Jade, Naomi Novik

    84. Black Powder War, Naomi Novik

  • 85. Empire of Ivory, Naomi Novik

    86. Steal Away Home, Lois Ruby

    87. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Roald Dahl

    88. The Witch of Blackbird Pond

  • 89. The Victory of Eagles, Naomi Novik

    90. Female Chauvinist Pigs: The Rise of Raunch Culture, Ariel Levy

    91. Eragon, Christopher Paolini

    92. Eldest, Christopher Paolini

  • 93. Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH

    94. Dealing with Dragons

    95. Calling on Dragons

  • 96. The Handmaid's Tale, Margaret Atwood

  • 97. The Other Side of the Island, Allegra Goodman

  • 98. Ten Cents A Dance, Christine Fletcher

    99. Chalice, Robin McKinley

    100. Brisingr, Christopher Paolini

I think it's probably a good idea to keep a record of the hobby that takes up so much of my time.  I think I'll be doing that part next year, at least.

3 comments:

chelle marble said...

Yay Candalyn!!!
That's way exciting. I don't think that I would ever make that goal.
(Unless rereading books counts.)

Sarah said...

That is quite the accomplishment. I set a goal to read a mere 5 books this year :)

Aimee said...

Wow. I think I've probably only read about 12 books this year. Enjoy the time -- someday when you have little ones, it won't be quite as do-able!! In fact, start reading those parenting books now. I need them now, but I don't have time to read them because I'm too busy parenting. Ha!